The Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures develops language proficiency to foster critical thinking through literary, cinematic, and linguistic analysis and hence to establish incisive perspectives on cultures and civilizations, including our own. The many faculty and student accomplishments in research, teaching, and service to the community build a solid foundation for exciting professional futures by informed, engaged citizens.
Students can earn a B.A. in Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures with a concentration in French, German, Italian, Russian, or Spanish. We also offer a concentration in Language and World Business, available for all of these languages plus Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Portuguese. Classes are available in Hebrew and Persian as well. For more information, please visit "Taped Language Program".
As an intrinsically diverse department we recognize and value diversity and inclusion including ability status, age, ethnicity, family structure, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion and spirituality, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and veteran status.
In the News
- Italian Theater Students May 11 2022 Performance
- Sara Rico-Godoy (PhD in Hispanic Studies May 2022) will be Assistant Professor of Spanish at Eastern Kentucky University beginning fall 2022. Congratulations, Sara!
- Morgan Schneider (doctoral student in Hispanic Studies) publishes essay in Spanish and Portuguese Review
- Vernacular Symposium March 4-5 2022
- GaboFest: A Celebration of Gabriel García Márquez
- Vernacular Journal Welcomes New Leadership