The Department of Modern Foreign Languages & Literatures develops language proficiency to foster critical thinking through literary, cinematic, and linguistic analysis and hence to establish incisive perspectives on cultures and civilizations, including our own. The many faculty and student accomplishments in research, teaching, and service to the community build a solid foundation for exciting professional futures by informed, engaged citizens.
Students can earn a B.A. in Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures with a concentration in French, German, Italian, Russian, or Spanish. We also offer a concentration in Language and World Business, available for all of these languages plus Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Portuguese. Classes are available in a tenth language, Hebrew, as well. For Persian, we offer modified self-instructional language learning; for more information, please visit "Taped Language Program".
In the News
- See what Josh Deepan (French, May 2017) has been up to during his year as a paid Teaching Assistant in Avignon, France! (For more information about this program, search 'Teaching Assistant Program in France')
- Panel Discussion on Immigration in East Tennessee March 27th
- MFLL Talent Show April 5
- Chinese Program News and Events
- French Connections Week Feb 26-March 2
- Spanish Immersion Day on March 3rd!
- Statement on White Nationalism and neo-Nazis on Campus
- Documenting DACA in East Tennessee