The Department of Modern Foreign Languages & Literatures develops language proficiency to foster critical thinking through literary, cinematic, and linguistic analysis and hence to establish incisive perspectives on cultures and civilizations, including our own. The many faculty and student accomplishments in research, teaching, and service to the community build a solid foundation for exciting professional futures by informed, engaged citizens.
Students can earn a B.A. in Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures with a concentration in French, German, Italian, Russian, or Spanish. We also offer a concentration in Language and World Business, available for all of these languages plus Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Portuguese. Classes are available in a tenth language, Hebrew, as well. For Persian, we offer modified self-instructional language learning; for more information, please visit "Taped Language Program".
In the News
- Prof. Mariani Establishes Collaborative Program with High School in Roseto, Italy
- Spanish Students Tell the Stories of East Tennessee Immigrants
- An Evening of Italian Theatre: December 4, 6pm !!
- German Career Day at UT on Tuesday, Nov. 13 from 4 – 6 pm
- Cross-cultural communication between Chinese and American students
- Fall 2018 French Film Series!
- Language Practice at the International House
- Watch a video about our Italian program!