The Department of Modern Foreign Languages & Literatures develops language proficiency to foster critical thinking through literary, cinematic, and linguistic analysis and hence to establish incisive perspectives on cultures and civilizations, including our own. The many faculty and student accomplishments in research, teaching, and service to the community build a solid foundation for exciting professional futures by informed, engaged citizens.
Students can earn a B.A. in Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures with a concentration in French, German, Italian, Russian, or Spanish. We also offer a concentration in Language and World Business, available for all of these languages plus Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Portuguese. Classes are available in a tenth language, Hebrew, as well. For Persian, we offer modified self-instructional language learning; for more information, please visit "Taped Language Program".
In the News
- Screening of Mexican Film Desierto (2015) Tuesday Jan 24th 5pm
- Brazilian Film Series Spring 2018 Lineup!
- Popular German Band Visits UT While Touring the United States
- Rossy Toledo Recognized for Innovative Teaching
- Prof. Parker Spreads Study Abroad to Chile!
- Nov 15 Presentation on Benefits of Knowing French
- Join Us for a German Career Day & Intercultural Workshop
- UTK in Cuba Info. Sessions Nov 21 & Nov 30